Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bye Bye Buppy


May 31st is a day the Theriot household will never forget. On this day, we lost the last buppy (what linc called his pacifiers). We had been on a constant search for it everyday for at least a month, then we finally lost it for good. We got home late from a church swim party and did not even think about it until I was putting the little one to bed. After searching the car, tearing up my bag, and totally freaking out we made the decision to just cut cold turkey. 

The first few days were absolute torture and we just about went back on our decision. I talked to many parents that have dealt with this pesky problem and they ALL said to say strong and that it was the best choice we could have made. Once we got past the hell days it got easier. Not much but a little bit. Even now months later when he thinks my guard is down he looks for it. I would always keep one in my shirt or pocket just in case he would have a melt down (this was before may 31). 

I recently took a trip to Walmart to get him some cups and what do you think was right across the isle from the cups... Those dang buppies... I thought we were going to have the fit of all fits, but he really surprised me and blew it right off. All he did was point at it and mumble something incoherent. In my head I imagined him saying " oh look I remember those. I loved them more than anything. What a fun time we had together." I know it sounds silly but I know he totally and absolutely loved them, and we as parents had to deal with taking something away from him that we knew he loved.

I think we are finally past the relapse period. At least I sure freakin' hope so. I don't think I would have the strength to go through it again. An amazing thing did happened when he finally realized that his buppy was not coming back. He started talking. Now he will not shut up and some days I totally regret losing that precious piece of plastic, but I am so in love with hearing the beautiful words that come from his sweet little mouth. 

Enjoy some of the really sweet pictures of the buppy reign. It was fun while it lasted. 














No comments:

Post a Comment